Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hikes, Family, Earthquake & Poison Control-Good Times

It has been a whirlwind since last Friday.  The weekend was filled with excitement around here because my sister-in-law, Ivy, my niece, Maddy and my Grandmother all arrived via plane on Saturday night.  Chris and I grilled and had dinner ready for them when they got to our house. That morning, my good friend Mandi and I hike two trails in the White Tank Mountains.  It was a lot of fun, great to chat with a good friend, and enjoy the beautiful outdoors together.  Hopefully we can hit the 7 mile hike before it gets too hot.

 My Mom and brother, Matt, had left Colorado in his truck on Saturday with a trailed filled with Grandma's belongings, she is moving here!  Sunday morning Chris left for a week of training in Georgia, so that part was awful.  Leaving first thing on Easter morning, and I was hosting brunch!  My Mom and Matt got into town early Sunday a.m., and came over for brunch with the rest of the family.  We were joined by my longtime friend, Mandi, who brought a great Trifle, for the pics and recipe go to http://www.stuffiwantbeforethebar.blogspot.com/.  It was excellent, and I know Chris will want a re-do.  It included his faves, whipped cream, cake and berries!  Poor guy, he was on his way to Georgia where they lost his luggage, of course.  And on Easter Sunday!  Anyway, Ivy and I took the kids to the carnival put on by the church where Taylor goes to school (verdict is still out on whether we will be regulars or not).  They got hot, sticky and tired, just how I like my kids to be!  We spent the rest of the afternoon poolside at my parents house, and weirdly were part of an earthquake.  It was very odd.  I felt like I was on a wave, but I had ridden the tea cups at the carnival with the girls so I thought it was just me.  Ivy said "are we moving?"-then we all came to the realization that we weren't individually going crazy, and that we ALL felt the motion.  The water in the pool started sloshing over the sides, and it felt very much like we were on a boat!  I freaked and wanted to run back inside (this was my first earthquake) every other natural disaster you GO inside!  My Dad was the picture of calm, and said stay put.  It lasted for 30-45 seconds.  It went away, and then came back.  It seemed to last forever.  The earthquake was located in Baja CA/Mexico and was 7.2!  We are about 200-220 miles from the epicenter.  So now I have seen a tornado (a few actually), been in a hurricane and an earthquake.  Please do not let this trend continue!  At least we made it out of Fargo before the floods!  Since Sunday we have been busy catching up with our Wyoming family.  The girls play non stop, and they fight like sisters.  Tomorrow the guys are moving Grandma into her apartment, and maybe we get to check out the pool!  My parents pool is getting up in temperature so it won't be long before we can hop in without screaming.  About 2 weeks and it will be good to go.  Wyatt took a dip this afternoon in fact, and promptly climbed out of the pool.  Same child who chugged on a bottle of Palmolive yesterday, forcing me to call Poison Control.  He was fine except for a tummy ache and the bubbles when he burped.  This child is going to either teach me to be calm finally or give me a heart attack, probably the latter (I am pretty sure the first is impossible!)  I am anxious to have Chris home-he will arrive Saturday morning.  Hopefully we can get out and shoot some guns in the desert and I would really like to go golfing.  My clubs haven't been dusted off since before Taylor was born.  Not one of my most illustrative posts, but I am soooo tired after running after the kids at the park for 2 hours this afternoon and almost tearing a mouthy and rude 16 year old BOY off of his bike.  Seriously, I know he wouldn't have been such a weak little boy if my husband had been there, in fact he would have been as meek as a mouse! 

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Sounds like you have had some FUN times! Enjoy your family!
We had to call poison control when the boys were younger. Ryan & 409...SCARY!

Em said...

Oooooohhhhh life in the Schultz/Von Tersch household... never a dull moment! It's been good times, though. Can't even say how glad I am to have y'all in AZ!!