Saturday, August 7, 2010

Working Again

So I made it through my first few days back in the working world.  It was a bit of a culture shock!  I have been mostly at home for the last four years and have enjoyed every second of it wholeheartedly.  It has been an amazing gift to be home with the kids since their births, playing with them and watching them grow.  We had planned on me staying at home or going back part time until Wyatt was at least two years old.  However this opportunity at American Express was a rare one that we felt was meant to be, and one I couldn't pass up.  I re-entered the work force, a little worried about how the kids and I would do.  We came through our first half week unscathed!  Wyatt did amazing, which was a feat of magnificent proportions.  He hasn't been the kid that is really comfortable with people other than Chris and I, and he is finally very comfortable with Uma and Papa.  I was very concerned he would be a disaster.  Just to prove that Mom's definitely don't know everything, he did marvelous.  He played both days he was at daycare wonderfully, ate and napped.  I was amazed.  I can watch him on a camera from my computer at work, so I got to check on he and Taylor both days.  We adjusted this last week fairly well, with lots of help from my Mom!  She watches the kids on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  So Thursday we came home to a clean house, with dinner on the table.  WOW!!! 

While I miss the kids during the day, and I know I am missing  a lot, I also am excited to start this new adventure.  I have so much to learn at Amex, and there is tremedous growth potential if I just dig in and get to it.  My boss is an amazing woman who has really worked hard and made a great name for herself within the company, and maintains a low profile with humility and grace.  The campus is great, and I enjoyed a nice breakfast and coffee Friday morning with a co-worker-any stay at home mom knows what an amazing event that is!  I managed to go through the day without wiping anyone's nose (as my friend Nancy was afraid I might do), I didn't say I was going to "the potty", and I enjoyed lunch with a friend from high school!  I have real mixed feelings about my decreased face time with my kids.  I know they will grow in ways that were not possible staying with me all day, but I also know that no one takes care of them like I do, and certainly no one loves them like I do.  It is a struggle any mom goes through when making the choice to go back to work or stay home.  We made huge sacrifices for me to stay home, and I made personal sacrifices concerning my career and well EVERYTHING.  It was totally worth it, and I don't wish to take back a minute.  Kids are little for only a blink of the eye, and at least I got to be there for a lot of the beginning ALL of the time.  I feel pretty confident that this is the best choice for our family at this time.  It is good for me personally and professionally, it is good for us financially, and I think the kids are getting opportunities they would lack otherwise.  I know they miss the time we have every morning where we don't rush, and all of our fun adventures, but since the quantity of our time is decreased, I have to put huge effort into the quality of the time we have.  So if you hear less of me for a while, or see less of me for awhile, that would be why.  Don't take it personally, I still love you:) We are just making it through a big transition, and the only way I know how to do anything is to immerse myself completely.  So I am immersing myself completely into this new job and then at home.  Here is to new adventures, opportunities, and hopefully some trips back to Colorado/Wyoming to see those who we love!!!!

0 comments: